Many great stories have been told on a bar stool. Is it something about the bar stool itself? We’ll probably never know. What we do know is that bar stools are necessary to have in your man cave if you’ve got a bar. Normal chairs next to a bar are just not going to work. There is more to them than you first think however. Here’s everything you want to know before buying.
Haven’t finished your bar yet? Read this article first!
Questions covered below;
- How tall should a bar stool be?
- How many bar stools fit a certain length of bar?
- Which features do bar stools have?
- Which material are bar stools made of?
- What makes a bar stool comfortable?
- How much do bar stools cost?
- What’s the best bar stool for my man cave?
If you’re just looking for some of the best bar stools for your man cave, scroll down to the bottom.
1. How tall should a bar stool be?
How tall your bar stools should be, depends on the height of your bar. Standard counter/bar is 34”-39” tall. A more “commercial” height, for lack of better words, is about 40”-46” You want the seat height of your bar stool to be about 10” lower than the bar height. There are different heights available so make sure to look at the seat height before you buy.
So if your bar is already in place, measure your bar first. Otherwise, make sure the bar and stools match up height wise.
2. How many bar stools fit a certain length of bar?
Home design experts recommend that each bar stool has 30” of bar available to be comfortable. Want to know how many of your friends you can fit at your home bar? Measure your bar and divide the length of the bar (in inches) by 30. Of course, if you want to know how long you have to make your bar, just multiply the wanted amount of stools by 30”.
3. Which features do bar stools have?
Even though this type of chair is pretty straight forward, there are some features to keep an eye out for. Bar stools can possess the following features.
- Height adjustable
The feature most people absolutely want is the footrest. Other features usability depends on your situation.
A. Height adjustable
Some bar stools come with height adjustability. This gives you some welcome flexibility in multiple ways;
- If you like a particular stool with this function, you can make it fit your bar height. Without adjustability you might be limited to a certain chair you’re not a big fan of if your bar height is uncommon.
- Tall or short people will be able to find a comfortable position more easily.
There are two common mechanisms to adjust the height on a bar stool.
- The first one is a “screw” type. Usually this is a more classic looking type. You turn the seat to lower or raise it.
- The other mechanism is similar to an office chair. It has a gas loaded spring with a lever to raise or lower the seat. Most of the stools with this mechanism have a more modern design.
All bar chairs with these mechanisms can swivel as well. Although not all stools that swivel are height adjustable.
Some chairs come with a backrest. The backrests come in different heights. The benefit is that you can get a little back support to sit in a more upright position. Leaning on the bar is not the best position for your back.
The drawback is that the low backrest on most bar stools is just uncomfortable and gets in the way.
Not all bar stools have the ability to swivel. It’s personal taste if you like this or not. I personally prefer bar stools that do have this feature. Especially if you’re close together it’s easier to get off the stool if you can just swing around.
This feature comes on pretty much every bar stool in the world but it’s an important one. Since bar stools are tall, your feet won’t reach the floor when you sit on one. It’s not very comfortable to have your legs just hanging in the air. That’s why you need a footrest.
The last feature is stack ability. It’s simply the ability to stack the bar stools on top of each other for storage. Great for people whose man cave is short on space. If you want to be able to put the bar stools away to make room for other activities, this is the option for you.
4. Which material are bar stools made of?
Like every other piece of furniture, bar stools are made of different materials. Different parts of the stool are usually made from different materials. The most commonly used materials for bar stools are;
There is no “best” material. It all depends on the quality of the material and how it’s used.
5. What makes a bar stool comfortable?
A bar stool should be comfortable to sit on for quite a while. That makes the material and shape of the seat a very important part of a bar stool. There are a few common materials and shapes. Let’s explore.
- Faux leather
What’s better really depends on your preferences. There are a few things to keep in mind though;
- If a seat isn’t upholstered, look at the radius of the seat’s edge. A rounder edge will be more comfortable than a 90 degree angle.
- Sometimes wooden seats are slightly pre shaped. This can improve comfort but only if it’s pre shaped to your “shape and size”.
- If the seat is upholstered, look at the amount of padding. Some have so little padding that bare wood might be more comfortable.
- Think about the upholstery material. Fabric is maintenance free but can be susceptible to stains.
- PU leather is maintenance free and comes in different qualities. The lower quality ones might start ripping and falling apart after some use. Better ones will last for a while. The obvious benefit is that the price is lower than real leather for 90% of the looks.
- Real leather looks awesome and lasts forever. If you’ve got high quality leather it will start looking even better after a while. The drawbacks are that it’s more expensive than other options and leather needs a bit of maintenance.
6. How much do bar stools cost?
How much does a bar stool cost? Most regular bar stools are between $40 and $150 a piece. You can go cheaper but you’ll have to make some compromises on looks, quality and/or comfort. If you want good materials, construction and design, you’re looking at the higher end of the price range. Of course there are some very special handcrafted bar stools that will cost upwards of $1000 a piece.
7. Which barstool is the best for my man cave?
Here are my top picks. These are the seats I think are a good combination of looks, functionality and price. These recommendations are in no particular order. The decor and style of your man cave dictate which one will be the best fit.
A. Furmax 30” stackable metal bar stools
Cheap and simple
If you just need some simple bar stools for a good price, this set of four bar stools is a good choice;
- 30” seat height. Also available in 24” height. Amazon link for 24”
- Metal construction and seat.
- Set of 4
- Black color will look cool in most man caves. Other colors are available as well.
- Comes fully assembled
- Rubber feet to prevent scratching the floor.
- They look a bit boring but do the job.
- Not the most comfortable because of the metal seat.
Interested? Click here to buy them on Amazon.
B. Topower Industrial Barstool
Industrial metal and wood
If you’re looking for something a bit more special than the first pick, this is a pretty cool design. The frame is made from an old hydrant and pipes. The seat is a thick pine wood slab.
- Height adjustable from 60-75 centimeter/+-24”-29.5”
- Great industrial design
- Not the highest quality wood is used for the seat.
- The weight limit is 100kg/225lbs
C. Modern bar stool
Many features for a good price.
This bar stool is a good option for people with a modern interior in their man cave. The black frame instead of the usual chrome makes it look much cooler. The brown upholstery is wear and stain resistant.
- Height adjustable with a lever from 25”-32”
- Modern design
- Black frame
- Fabric upholstery
- Upholstery looks like worn leather but isn’t.
D. Farmhouse distressed bar stool
Rustic and solid
This bar stool is great for many man caves. It comes with a distressed look and is completely constructed from solid wood.
- Solid wood
- Distressed look that’s great for rustic decors.
- 30” seat height
- Sturdy construction
- Shaped seat
- Goes perfectly with this beautiful bar. (Amazon link)
- Not as comfortable as a leather seat
E. Bar stool cover
Finally, if you’ve got some bar stools but aren’t very happy with the comfort they provide, you can of course buy other chairs. But if your budget doesn’t allow for that, buying covers is a good option.
They might not look as good as an upholstered stool but they provide much more comfort and are machine washable. Check them out on Amazon.
Hi there. I’m BetterDaily. I’m a man in his early thirties that likes to travel, ride motorcycles, work out and write. Usually I write about men, things related to masculinity and things men like. Teacher by day, blogger by night.